Improve throughput of vehicles through workshops.
VT Support Services is a leading operator in defence, emergency and commercial markets in the UK and overseas, managing key asset availability and engineering support contracts. Through its Critical Services business, it has been working in partnership with the Metropolitan Police Service since 2006 in a ten year contract to provide fleet management for circa 4,000 vehicles and it includes motor cycles, general use cars, high specification fast response cars and heavy goods vehicles. This covers maintenance, short term rental and collision repair – all undertaken at two purpose-built £10m facilities owned by VT.
Issues / Challenges
One year into the new contract, VT had completed the main consolidation activities and wanted to continue the improvement via a study and change to processes.
Aims of the project
The financial target for the BIP was to be self-funding in 2007-08 financial year and identify significant financial benefits in following years. VT saw six areas of the operation where improvements could be delivered:
• Operational performance (fleet availability & capacity management)
• MMU performance / productivity / management
• Collection and delivery utilisation
• Warranty identification / recovery
• Parts performance / parts availability
• PSP Management / proactive management
It chose an ‘in house’ approach but identified a requirement for additional expertise to facilitate the project. VT partnered with Stonac which was able to bring core project management skills and focus, and a fresh perspective to the project. A small team representing all sections of the business was established and a Business Improvement Project (BIP) started.
• Identify issues, opportunities and measures
• Create solutions / improvements
• Implement changes and monitor
The team delivered numerous improvements in the following areas:
• Turnaround and Vehicles off Road
• Warranty Identification increases of 30%
• Time Spent Awaiting Parts reduced by over 30%
• Plan for sustaining the improvement
• Reemphasising the value of involving people in front line roles in developing business improvements
• Reemphasising the value of setting up performance measures at the start of business improvement project
Providing training and implementation services for programmExpress.Read More